Dr. Francis Kariuki is an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya and a lecturer at the Strathmore University Law School. He holds a Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) and a Master of Laws degree (LL.M) from the University of Nairobi, and a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) from the University of the Witwatersrand, South Africa.
He is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb) London and Kenya, and is an experienced arbitrator and an accredited mediator. Francis is also a listed arbitrator and mediator with the Nairobi Centre for International Arbitration (NCIA) in Kenya, and a member of the Strathmore Dispute Resolution Centre (SDRC). He is accredited as a mediator by the Mediation Accreditation Committee (MAC) under the Kenyan Judiciary.
His research interests are in land law, traditional knowledge, environmental law, Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) and traditional justice systems (TJS).
LIST OF PUBLICATIONS
- Francis Kariuki et al, Property Law (Strathmore University Press, 2016).
- Francis Kariuki, Handling extractives related grievances in Kenya: A guide for judicial officers (Extractives Baraza, 2019).
- Kariuki Muigua, Didi Wamukoya & Francis Kariuki, Natural Resources and Environmental Justice in Kenya, (Glenwood Publishers, 2015).
- Francis Kariuki, Securing Community Land Rights in Community Forests in Kenya, (LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing, 2015), available at https://www.lap-publishing.com/.
- “Class Action Arbitrations: Is it the Future of Arbitration in Consumer Disputes in Kenya?” in Rowan Planterose & John Tackaberry QC (eds.) A Brand New World: The Evolution and Future of Arbitration, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, 2019.
- ‘Traditional dispute resolution mechanisms in the administration of justice in Kenya’ in Citizenship and Customary Law in Africa (Springer, Forthcoming).
- ‘Land rights issues in Kenya’s extractives sector’ in J. Ambani (ed.), Drilling Past the Resource Curse? Essays on the governance of extractives in Kenya, Strathmore Press, 2018, pp. 139-168.
- “Environmental Challenges in Informal Settlements: Case study of Mukuru Slums in Nairobi” in Vasilka Sancin and Masa Kovic Dine (eds.), International Environmental Law: Greening the Urban Living, 2016, pp.39-54.
- Patricia Kameri-Mbote & Francis Kariuki, “Human Rights, Gender and Water in Kenya: Law, Prospects and Challenges,” in A. Hellum et al, (eds), Water is Life: Women’s human rights in national and local water governance in Southern and Eastern Africa, Weaver Press, Harare, 2015, pp.81-117.
- “Ideological conundrums and technical challenges in protecting traditional knowledge using the intellectual property system” Journal of Conflict Management and Sustainable Development, Vol.3 (2), (2019), pp.15-32.
- ‘Incongruence of the Intellectual Property Notion of ‘ownership’ in protecting Traditional Ecological knowledge in Kenya’ (Journal of Intellectual Property Rights, forthcoming, 2019).
- “African traditional justice systems” Journal of Conflict Management and Sustainable Development (2017), pp. 156-175.
- Paul Karekezi & Francis Kariuki “A Case for Statutory Adjudication in Kenya” Alternative Dispute Resolution Journal Vol.5 Issue 1 (2017), pp. 16-38.
- “Development and Practice of Alternative Dispute Resolution in Kenya,” in the Dutch-Flemish Mediation and Conflict Management Journal, Vol. 4 (2014).
- “Alternative Dispute Resolution, Access to Justice and Development in Kenya” Strathmore Law Journal (2015), pp. 1-21.
- “Community, Customary and Traditional Justice Systems in Kenya: Reflecting on and Exploring the Appropriate Terminology” University of Nairobi Law Journal Vol. 8 Issue 1 (2015), pp. 64-78.
- “Conflict Resolution by Elders in Africa: Successes, Challenges and Opportunities,” Alternative Dispute Resolution Journal Vol.3 Issue 2 (2015), pp. 30-53.
- “Safeguarding Environmental Rights in Kenya,” Kenya Law Review, Vol. IV (2012-2013).
- “Land Grabbing, Tenure Security and Livelihoods in Kenya” African Journal of Legal Studies Vol. 9 (2016), pp. 79-99.
- “Applicability of Traditional Dispute Resolution Mechanisms in Criminal Cases in Kenya: Case Study of Republic v Mohamed Abdow Mohamed  eKLR,” Alternative Dispute Resolution Journal Vol.2 Issue 1 (2014), pp. 202-228.
- “Sustainability in the Financial Sector in Kenya,” published by the Kenya Bankers Association (KBA) Center for Research on Financial Markets and Policy, KBA Working Paper Series, WPS/11/15.
- “Customary Law Jurisprudence from Kenyan Courts: Implications for Traditional Justice Systems,” University of Nairobi Law Journal, Vol. 8 Issue 1 (2015), pp.58-72.